Type 2 Diabetes is the commonest type of diabetes between the two types of the disease ( type 1 and 2 ).
This is why most information about diabetes is based on the type 2 diabetes. According to report over 5000 people are diagnosed daily for type 2 diabetes. So, you are not alone if you have been diagnosed for diabetes or someone close to you have been. Diabetes on it own is not that dangerous but what is hard is how to manage the disease. Though there are many information both online and offline on how to cope and
effectively control the disease, mos diabetics willingly fail to abide by the rules because it involves total changes in food and lifestyle.
If you are diagnosed with diabetes the best thing is to learn the rules and ways you can rightly manage and control your blood sugar.
The following 14 points will help you to know what you can do to live longer with diabetes.
14 TOP WAYS TO MANAGE DIABETES AND CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR
1. Eat Healthy Food For Diabetes:
Whether you like it or not diabetics have their own class of food for proper management of their condition. Not that the foods are new created ones by God but it means a selected class of foods from the various foods eat by humans. The foods for diabetes are low in calories, fats, sugar etc. Diabetes patients should eat more of vegetables, fruits and food rich in fiber. Doing this will help to control your blood sugar.
2. Control your weight: weight and diabetes are positively related. Uncontrolled excess fat or obesity is one of the major causes of diabetes. Therefore, if you are diabetic and still has excess weight start reducing it now. Having a balanced weight may help prevent you from the adverse effect of diabetes combined with obesity. Eat food low in fat and sugar. Try to do things that could help you to managed your weight or keep it balanced. It will be hard to do but you have to do it because if you don’t do it yourself, diabetes will force you to slim down and it will not be funny. Being obese and diabetics is two problem in one.
3. Try to control the portion of food you are eating. If you are among those that eat large size of food, that have to change because large size or portion of food is not meant and healthy for diabetes. Therefore, you are advice to eat the proper size of food that is acceptable for diabetes in order to properly control blood sugar level and weight.
4. Do not be hungry before you eat. Diabetes patients should eat regularly. As said above, you should not eat large size of food at a go but eat smaller sizes of foods and snacks many times a day. This will help you to keep your blood sugar checked. The logic is that eating smaller size will save you from consuming huge calories, fats and sugar at a go. The little fats, calories and sugar you eat in smaller portion will be easy for the body to used up and controlled.
5. Make sure you exercise regularly.
Exercise is one of the ways to control your blood sugar and have a healthy body generally.
A lot of people are controlling their diabetes through exercise. However, it is advisable you talk to your medical expert on the kind of exercise that is good for you. The problem most people have with exercise is that they believed it is until they engaged in vigorous exercise before they could be considered to have exercised. Contrarily, simple exercise like walking for few minutes is good or walking round your house or little space in your compound is okay or any form of light exercise.
6. Diabetics should check their blood glucose on a regular basis. If you are diabetes one of the lifestyle adjustment you have to make is checking your blood sugar level regularly. Checking your blood sugar level will help you to know the kind of food or drug that is good for you. You will be able to know the kind of food that is spiking up your blood sugar or the one bringing it down. Checking your blood glucose will also help you to keep your blood sugar in check before it goes out of hand or viral.
7. Diabetes patients should take their drug as at when due. Any diabetes patients that is tired of using his or her drugs is tired of living. It is surprising that many people do not take their medication as prescribed. And the truth is that ‘it is not easy to be using medication everyday.’
Another thing is that a medication that works for Mr. A may not work for Mr. B. Therefore, by trial and error, you will know the diabetes medication that works for you without creating side effects and you should stick to it. Use it as prescribed by medical experts.
8. Diabetes patients should stay alert to latest news and information on diabetes. That is why blogs on any topics are moving nowadays. People need to stay tune to the latest news and article on what really matter to them. There are many blogs and website online dedicated to health and diabetes to be precise. The duty of any diabetes patient is to stay alert to the current advice on how to better manage and control their disease. People are more informed now, thanks to the growth of online blog and website. One cannot compare the information available now on diabetes or any other health issues to that of 10 years ago. Which means diabetes did not have to kill and harm people like 10 years ago. However, one can only gain from the the enormous availability of information by staying informed.
9. Get help for swing in mood. Diabetes patients usually have mood problem. Their mood may change at any time. This is usually due to changes in blood sugar level. Diabetics may be feel fatigue and irritable when their blood sugar spike up. That could be one of the important sign that something is wrong with their blood sugar. Understanding this may help them to control their blood sugar level efficiently.
10. Diabetes patients should try to fight against depression. Knowing that they have diabetes make some people feel depressed. And depression is a serious disease on it own. Depression can also bring the immune system down leading to diabetes complications.
11. Control your blood pressure
Blood pressure and diabetes go hand in hand. When your blood pressure is high, blood sugar will also be high. Therefore, do not focus mainly on your diabetes or sugar level but also manage your blood pressure at the same time.
It might be that it is your blood pressure that is high when your blood sugar spike despite the fact that you are using your medication and following necessary diabetes guidelines.
12. Diabetes patients should make sure that they guide themselves from injury resulting in sores, scars etc. It is important that diabetes people keep checking their feet to look out for sores and cuts. If you notice any sore on your feet try to treat it as soon as possible and under the guidance of a medical expert. Untreated sore or cut that does not heal in time can lead to amputations. One important fact is that if you control your blood sugar very well, you will not have sore on your feet as a result of sugar and any sore that appear on your feet because of other reasons will heal quickly.
13. Diabetes patients should enlighten their family, friends and co-workers about their condition. High and low level of blood sugar usually show signs. You could tell them to be watchful of certain signs in you. Sometimes, they will be the one that will tell you that their is changes in your body which you might not be aware of. This will help you to avoid the tragedy that high or low blood sugar can cause. Letting people know your condition will let them know how they can help you. Some might even suggest medicine or lifestyle changes which they know works for someone they know that has the same problem.
14. Diabetes patients are advised to always go out with an
identification card that inform
people that they are diabetic especially if they are going out alone. The identification card will speak for them if you’re in a state of coma. The will help doctors to know the kind of treatment to give the patient brought to them on emergency without anyone close to the patient around to inform them about the health issues concerning the patient.