Posted on Leave a comment

Bobi Wine Formally Declares Presidential Bid For 2021 Uganda Poll



Bobi Wine, a pop star-turned-leading opposition figure in Uganda, has officially announced taking on long-time President Yoweri Museveni in the country’s 2021 national elections, Al Jazeera reports.

“On behalf of the people of Uganda, I am challenging you (Museveni) to a free and fair election in 2021,” the singer, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi, said on Wednesday at an event in the capital, Kampala.

He was wearing a red tie and his signature red beret, which he has called a “symbol of resistance”, a look copied by dozens of his supporters at the event, which came morning than a week after saying in an interview that he planned to contest the elections.

The 36-year-old has emerged as a leading critic of 74-year-old Museveni, striking a chord with young Ugandans with his songs about social justice.

One of Bobi Wine’s songs contains the lyric, “Freedom fighters become dictators,” while others hint that Museveni, who plans to seek a sixth term in office in the presidential election, has stayed in power too long.

He has faced repeated arrests while authorities have frustrated his efforts to perform.

Bobi Wine first came to prominence in 2017 when, as an independent candidate, he won an election to represent a constituency near Kampala.

He has since successfully campaigned for other opposition candidates, raising his profile as a national leader and attracting calls urging him to run for president.

But Bobi Wine faces multiple challenges, including limited opportunities to hold rallies or stage concerts ahead of elections.

He was most recently arrested in April for allegedly staging an illegal protest last year – charges fellow opposition MPs decried as ridiculous – but was released from jail after just a few days in prison.

He is also facing treason charges after he and 30 other opposition politicians were arrested in August last year for allegedly stoning Museveni’s convoy following a campaign rally.

He accused security forces of torturing and beating him while in custody – which authorities denied.

“We came to the conclusion that we as a generation must challenge President Museveni,” Bobi Wine told Al Jazeera.

“We are not going to wait for anybody else, but we ourselves [will do this]. Right now, as we speak, we are resolved to challenge president Museveni, and my team believes that I can best represent our generation in this cause,” he added. 

Earlier this year, Uganda’s Supreme Court upheld a decision to remove an age cap of 75 for presidential contenders, paving the way for Museveni to run again in 2021.

Posted on Leave a comment

Nigerians Knock Desmond Elliot For Seeking Ban Of Foreign Movies In Nigeria

Nigerian actor and Lagos State lawmaker, Desmond Elliot, has come under fire for his call on the Nigerian government to ban foreign movies.  

In an interview with Nigerian entertainment channel, HipTV, Desmond who is representing Surulere Constituency at the Lagos State House of Assembly, said the Nigerian government needed to create an environment that would help the Nigerian film industry thrive.

Referring to the recent ban on importation of rice by the Nigerian government, Desmond advised that all foreign contents be banned after which the Nigerian government can now refocus its attention on locally produced content.

The lawmaker said, “First they need to create an enabling environment for this industry to thrive. Secondly, they need to consciously, intentionally focus on building the industry. Treat it like you’re importing rice.

Okay, you know, so you ban all foreign content. You know, make it difficult for foreign content to come in, so your local content can grow.”

Desmond Elliot’s comment on the Nigerian movie industry has generated a lot of reactions on social media as movie enthusiasts have berated him for calling for the ban of foreign movies. 

A Twitter user, Holuwafemi, described Elliot’s advise as nonsense. He wrote, “Please stop talking nonsense. Signed: Concerned Nigerians.” 

Another Twitter user, Raphael Christopher, in his Tweet wrote, “Desmond Elliot was using a foreign accent to advocate the banning of foreign content lol. No, be the foreign content teach you the accent you dey use.” 

Another Twitter user, Ruccified questioned if the lawmaker considered his opinion before he spoke. His tweet read, “In honesty, Desmond Elliot’s viewpoint is limp. I only wonder if he’d thought about his point before the flashy lights and cameras? Also, considering the fact if this worked vice-versa, who would suffer it more? Well, man is in politics now. Perhaps, he cares less. Just saying.” 

Ayo Bankole, in his tweet, was rather more concerned with lawmaker’s accent than the content of his speech. His tweet read, “I argued that it is impossible for Desmond Elliot to say BS till I saw it. Banning foreign content in entertainment? To treat it like rice?? And why is that fake accent sounding like Pinky in Pinky& the Brain? Did India ban to grow Bollywood? Did we ban to export Wizkid?” 

Celebrity Entertainment Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 

Posted on Leave a comment

Nigerians Celebrate Wizkid As He Clocks 29



Today has been declared “World Wizkid Day” by Nigerians to celebrate the birthday of Nigerian singer, Ayo Balogun, better known as “Wizkid”.

Wizkid turns 29 today. Born on the 16th of July, 1990 to a family of six, Wizkid started singing at the age of 11 with the stage name “Lil Prinz” after which he formed a group “Glorious five.”

In 2006, he changed his name from “Lil Prinz” to Wizkid leading to his first chance at the spotlight in 2009 when he featured on M. Abaga’s song “Fast Cars”.

That song brought his voice to the notice of Nigerian singer, Banky W, who signed him to his record label.  

As the singer turns 29 today, Nigerians have taken to their various social media accounts to celebrate the singer and his achievements over the years. 

Tweeting with the hashtag, “WorldWizkidDay,” many Nigerians congratulated the singer.

“When I am sad, your music is my happiness, when I am lost, your music is my comforter. Thank you for blessing our generation,” a Twitter user, JeeziMillion, wrote.

Another Twitter user, Stevydomiles, wrote: “Nobody does it badder than you Ayo, the undisputed King of Afropop. Thanks for all the good music, you keep inspiring me.”

“Happy birthday baby!” Imadey, another Twitter user, wrote while wishing the singer a happy birthday. 
 

Posted on Leave a comment

Always Find Time For Yourselves, Jay Z Advises Prince Harry And Meghan



American rapper, Jay-Z had a piece of advice for Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan when they met at the European premiere of “Lion King” on Sunday.

Jay-Z alongside his wife Beyoncé who played the role “Nala” in “Lion King” remake of  1994 arrived at the movie premiere a few hours after the arrival of the royal couple.

According to The Daily Mail, upon arrival, Beyoncé and Jay-Z extended their greetings to the royals on the birth of their baby, Archie.  

During the exchange of pleasantries, Jay-Z used the opportunity to give some parenting tips to the new royal parent. “Always find time for yourselves,” he told Prince Harry and Meghan. 
 

Posted on Leave a comment

Beyonce Features Wizkid, Tiwa Savage Others In New Album



American singer, Beyonce, has released the track list for her Lion King inspired album: “The Lion King: The Gift.”

The album, which was produced by Beyonce, features a host of several African artists. The final track list was revealed on Tuesday consisting of 14 tracks. 

Speaking to ABC Information, she said, ‘This soundtrack is a love letter to Africa and I wish to ensure we discover the most effective expertise from Africa. I wished it to be genuine to what’s stunning concerning the music in Africa.

“We’ve kind of created our own genre and I feel like the soundtrack is the first soundtrack where it becomes visual in your in your mind.The soundscape is more than just the music because each song tells the story of the film.”

Posted on Leave a comment

R Kelly Still A Danger To Young Girls -Prosecutor



A judge in the United States of America has ordered R Kelly to remain behind bars without bail after a prosecutor claimed the singer would still pose a danger to young girls if he was set free.

Speaking in court on Tuesday, assistant US attorney Angel Krull told district judge Harry Leinenweber: “If he was attracted to middle school girls in 1999 then he’s still attracted to middle school girls.

“That’s who the defendant is and that, your honour, makes him a danger today.

“Electronic monitoring can’t stop obstruction of justice, witness tampering.”

She added: “He can entice victims to his own home.”










Mr. Leinenweber said Kelly would have to prove that he was not a danger to the public under federal law and that Kelly’s lawyer had failed to do this.

The R&B singer was arrested in Chicago last week while out walking his dog and faces a number of sex-related charges in the city, and in New York – which he denied, News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Posted on Leave a comment

‘Game Of Thrones’ Breaks Record With 32 Emmy Nominations



The final season of “Game of Thrones” smashed the record for most Primetime Emmy nominations by a drama series in a single year, earning a whopping 32 nods Tuesday.

The conclusion to HBO’s fantasy epic enraged fans but still trounced the competition, with “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” — Amazon’s story of a 1950s housewife-turned-stand up comic — a distant second on 20 nominations for the small-screen equivalent of the Oscars.

“Thrones” was already the most decorated fictional show in the awards’ seven-decade history, and now has 161 nominations, according to the Television Academy website.

HBO’s acclaimed drama “Chernobyl” placed third with 19, ahead of perennial Emmys powerhouse “Saturday Night Live” on 18.

The Television Academy’s 24,000 members sifted through a record number of entries for this year’s Emmys.

Final-round voting will now begin to pick winners who will be revealed at a glitzy Los Angeles show on September 22, AFP reports.
 

Posted on Leave a comment

Another Double Eviction! Ella & Kim Oprah evicted from the BBNaija “Pepper Dem” House

14 July 2019 – Big Brother Naija “Pepper dem” housemates Ella & Kim Oprah have been evicted from the Big Brother Naija show. Ella & Kim Oprah who were evicted on Sunday, July 14th, 2019 are the third & Fourth housemates to leave the house during the live Sunday night show.

Ella & Kim Oprah faced eviction alongside three other housemates, Mercy, Tacha & Sir Dee after being nominated by their fellow housemates on Monday night.

Earlier in the week, Frodd had the power to save himself and replace with another housemate of his choice because of the veto power card he won, he replaced himself with Mercy.

Evicted Housemates, Ella & Kim Oprah join other evicted housemates, Avala and Isilomo who were evicted after barely a week in the house.

The BBNaija live eviction show on Sunday also featured an energetic performance from Afro-House Queen, Niniola who thrilled the audience with her latest single ‘Boda Sadiq’ and other hit singles, ‘Designer’ and ‘Bana’ whilst DJ Big N thrilled the crowd as the night’s resident DJ.

There are now only 17 housemates still in the race to win the 30-million-naira cash and 60 million worth of prizes courtesy of Big Brother Naija. Viewers can now vote for their favourite housemate in the Big Brother Naija house via SMS by texting VOTE and the NAME of the HOUSEMATE to 32052 (SMS costs N30 for Nigeria only). Fans can also VOTE FOR FREE on the website and mobile site – africamagic.tv/bigbrother . With the all new MyDStv & MyGOtv Apps you, fans can GET additional 100 VOTES for their preferred housemate. Download the MyDStv or MyGOtv app today (available to subscribers in Nigeria) on your iOs or Android mobile app store.

Voting starts every Monday night at 7:30pm WAT; after the Nomination show and closes the following Thursday at 9pm WAT. Visit the website for more information.

Don’t miss out! Catch the live BBNaija drama 24/7, daily – available on all DStv packages via DStv channel 198 and on GOtv Max and GOtv Plus packages only on GOtv channel 29/Ghana 129/Uganda 329.

For more information on this 4th Big Brother Naija edition that is proudly sponsored by BetNaija, fans can visit www. africamagic.tv/bigbrother . Follow the official Big Brother Naija handle on Instagram @bigbronaija, twitter: @BBNaija and Facebook: facebook.com/bigbrothernaija

Posted on Leave a comment

BBNaija Is Satanic, Says Muslim Group, Urges Christians To Join In Condemning Reality Show



The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has urged the federal government to immediately place a ban on the Big Brother Naija show.

MURIC posited that the reality show promotes immorality in the country branding it as ‘immoral, dangerous and Bohemian’.

Professor Ishaq Akintola, Director of MURIC also said the promoter of the show must be held accountable for promoting immorality in the country

“We are being forcibly dragged to a world of nudity, shamelessness and open promiscuity. Inmates of BBNaija kiss, romance and engage in sex openly. BBNaija is Bohemian, anti-social, crude and immoral. It constitutes a potent danger to every home. BBNaija is Satanic. It is unacceptable.

“Where are our norms and values? Is it part of African culture to engage in sex in the open? Where are the authorities? Is the Ministry of Information and Culture sleeping? Is the National Orientation Agency on sabbatical? Who will protect our children from this despicable onslaught? Who did this to Nigeria?

“This reality show is dragging our children into a life of moral debauchery. It is robbing them of the last vestiges of honour. It is deleting the word ‘shame’ from their vocabulary. BB Naija has alienated our youth from the elders. A yawning lacuna now exists between the young and the old. Irreversible social crisis looms. 

“We must see those who woo our young ones with humongous amounts of money, big cars, and palatial buildings as those bent on destroying industry, diligence, and integrity, particularly among the youth. Nothing destroys a nation faster than materialism. The daughters of Jezebel are here already. Unless the authorities move with the speed of lightning, human dignity in Nigeria is going, going, going!

“Or do we not realize that for every single BB Naija inmate who wins a big amount of money and a car, more than 50 million young people are misled? Qur’an 30:41 says, ‘Evil has appeared on both land and sea as a result of the handiworks of men…’  The Bible in Ephesians 4:19 was also describing these people when it says, ‘Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.’”

MURIC calls for unity among the Christians and Muslims in the country to jointly condemn and force the government to place a ban on the reality show.










“We can put an end to this anomaly called BB Naija if Christians and Muslims bury the hatchet and come together to fight evil. Home is home. Moral debauchery knows no religion. The destructive influence of television shows like BB Naija penetrates both Christian and Muslim homes.

“Ditto for the custodians of our culture and tradition. Our traditional rulers ignore a program like this, which has all the potentials to diminish the dignity of our culture. They are fighting over who should be chairman of the council of traditional rulers. They want to be the king of kings and rivals of the supreme creator. Who placed a curse on Nigeria?

“Homo sapiens may not respect a single snake when they see one. But can anyone wait to see what follows if the cobra leads and it is faithfully followed by the python, the black mamba, rattlesnake, garter snake, and the anaconda? So what do you think will happen if our traditional rulers from the East, West and North march on Aso Rock to demand the immediate halt of this horrible show?”

MURIC charged the Ministry of Information and Culture to move swiftly against BB Naija before moral debauchery becomes Nigeria’s middle name.