Enugu State Government has banned non-sporting activities at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium Indoor Sports Hall, Enugu, the Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Vitus Okecchi, said on Thursday.
Okecchi told newsmen in Enugu that the ban became necessary to enable the state government to rehabilitate the hall.
Newsmen report that the stadium, located on Ogui Road, Achara, Enugu is a multi-purpose stadium and the home stadium of Enugu Rangers.
The stadium which has the capacity to accommodate 22,000 sports spectators, is named after the first president of the Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe of blessed memory.
According to Okecchi, a lot of work need to be done in the Indoor Sports Hall.
“Some of the facilities, such as the leaking roof, need to be mended. It is unfortunate that the Indoor Sports Hall has been turned into use by churches and other activities. Within a short time, it will be used for the purpose it was built,” the commissioner said.
The commissioner, therefore, directed the stadium manager not to allow the hall to be used for a non-sporting activity.
“That hall is purely for sports and nothing else.”
Mr Ade Omole, leader of the United Kingdom chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), says Nigerians never expected anything less from the Supreme Court judgement upholding President Muhammadu Buhari’s election victory.
He said this while reacting to the judgment on Thursday in Abuja.
Omole said it was crystal clear from the on-set that the appeal filed by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its Feb. 23, presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar was baseless.
The Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal had on Sept. 11, affirmed Buhari’s victory at the election.
Not satisfied with the judgment, the PDP and its candidate proceeded to the Supreme Court where a seven-man Justice Panel dismissed the petition for lacking merit while upholding the tribunal’s judgment.
“Nigerians never expected anything less from the Supreme Court, it was crystal clear to the discerning abinitio that the appeal filed by the opposition was frivolous and baseless,” Omole said.
According to him, Nigerians overwhelmingly voted for the APC and its candidates during the election.
“I am not surprised at the appeal dismissal by the Supreme Court,” Omole said.
He added that the Buhari-led administration would now settle down to fully concentrate on governance without distractions.
This, he said, was especially so as all contending legal issues had been laid to rest.
“It is time for Nigerians to start enjoying the gains of the confidence reposed on the APC administration,” he said.
Omole described the Supreme Court ruling as a masterstroke which had sent the opposition into oblivion.
He noted that the ruling had made the opposition parties unattractive, urging them to join hands with the APC to build a country habitable country for all.
He congratulated Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on their victory, adding that it is a resounding victory for Nigeria, the rule of law and democracy.
“With the affirmation by the Supreme Court, the President and his team can now settle down to start delivering the Next Level promises,” Omole said.
He urged Nigerians both at home and in Diaspora to join hands with the APC administration to build the country in the interest of all.
He said the impact of the administration’s good policies on economy and the array of infrastructural development across the country was already being seen.
Mr Jacob Ogunseye, the chapter’s spokesman advised Nigerians to forget partisan differences, urging them to unite and back the Federal Government to deliver on its promises.
“The economy has picked up, security architecture has got new definition and infrastructure development has been monumental, it is time for us to work towards a better Nigeria.
“Campaigns and elections are over, now is the time for governance to take primacy.
“We remain confident that by the time Buhari’s presidency ends, the country would never be the same again, he would have laid a solid foundation for a new prosperous Nigeria,” he said.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, on Wednesday said the ministry would soon commence the sale of housing units built under the National Housing Programme, nationwide.
He said this would be done through an online subscription to allow for transparency and reduce human interference to the barest in the allocation process.
Fashola said this at a one-day stakeholders’ engagement forum organised by the Lagos State Real Estate Transactions Department with the theme: ‘Lagos Real Estate: Achieving 21st Century Compliance.’
Represented by Mrs. Sarah Alawode, Controller, Federal Ministry of Housing, Fashola said that housing, apart from being one of the major needs of man, holds great potential for the economic well being of Lagos State and Nigeria at large.
“It therefore behoves on us all to ensure that the art and practice of housing delivery in all ramifications are advanced for the benefit of the country and teeming population seeking shelter on a daily basis,” he said.
According to him, more states need to play a more active role to ensure a better experience for citizens in the area of land and security of land transaction, thereby attracting investment.
He expressed optimism that the support of the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council in driving the Ease of Doing Business (EODB) would, among other things, enhance the confidence of prospective land buyers in the system.
The minister, however, noted that the stakeholders forum was no doubt a welcome initiative as it would further deepen the aspiration of the Lagos State Government to regulate and professionalise the practice of the real estate business, particularly agency practice.
“It is a painful realisation that this aspect of real estate business in Nigeria has been encroached by unqualified persons who perpetuate fraud on vulnerable and unsuspecting members of the public.
“In addition, some qualified personnel have not acted to the fullest possibilities of their professional capacities,” he said.
According to him, it is against the background and an effort to reverse the ugly trend that informed the state government establishment in 2007 of the Lagos State Estate Agency Regulation Authority.
Fashola said the agency was mandated to regulate and control the practice of real estate business in the state.
A Gombe Chief Magistrates’ Court, on Wednesday, remanded a 40-year-old man, Muhammad Hamisu, in a correctional custody over alleged armed robbery.
The Chief Magistrate, Babayo Usamatu, gave the remand order and adjourned the case till Nov. 28 for further mention, when the defendant pleaded guilty to the charge.
The Court Clerk, Mr Ibrahim Aliyu, read the First Information Report (FIR), telling the court that Hamisu of Hore-Gere village, Yamaltu/Deba council area of Gombe state committed the offence on Sept. 7, at about 15:00 hours.
He said that the defendant armed himself with a cutlass and hired a commercial motorcyclist, one Kawuwa Mijinyawa of Kembu village in Akko Local Government area of the state, to Billiri council area.
“ On reaching the outskirt of Billiri Local Government area, you attacked and robbed the complainant of his Bajaj motorcycle, with registration number SD201UM, valued at N180,000″, he said.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Bako Shekari, said investigation had begun and asked for a date to enable him conclude the investigation.
Legendary Nigerian singer and guitarist, Sir Victor Uwaifo, has revealed why he sued Nigerian singer, Simisola Bolatito Ogunleye, aka Simi, for N50 million.
Uwaifo accused the songstress of “stealing” his intellectual property, ‘Joromi’.
In an exclusive interview with SaharaReporters shortly after his performance at the just concluded National Festival of Arts and Culture in Edo State, he said: “We’re in court already I sued her at the federal high court for N50 million. They will be coming to court.”
When Sahara Reporters asked if Simi had reached out to him privately, he answered: “No, only through her lawyers. We will meet in court.”
Over a year ago, Uwaifo had told SaharaReporters that Simi was in trouble for failing credit for the song, Joromi, which she remixed.
He had said, when asked if he was going to take any legal action against Simi, “One after the other. I cannot just take everybody to court at the same time. I don’t know whether he or she; I know she is but I know somebody is behind it.
“An LP was sent as a compliment; I’m still looking at it but they were planning to come to Benin to see me. Up till now, they haven’t come. So I’m just putting that one on hold. ‘Joromi’ is a franchise. The name never existed before. Benin don’t have ‘J’ in their language. If any started with ‘J’ in Benin then it is fake. All consonant words start with vowel sounds. For example, if I use the trademark of one of these soft drinks, it is wrong. So Simi is in trouble.”
Students in Nigeria’s tertiary institutions need not fear over sexual harassment, intimidation, victimization and bullying, among others, anymore on campuses as a professional institute has initiated the ngrcampus.com Student Help Desk to save them from the malady.
Professor Anthony Kila, Director, Centre for International Advanced and Professional Studies (CIAPS), speaking during the public presentation of the NGRcampus Student Help Desk on Tuesday in Lagos, noted that the CIAPS initiative was to lend an expert and helpful ear to students and others in the nation’s tertiary institutions.
Kila, who stated that the help desk was also set up to provide information and guidance to students and others on campuses, confirmed that conversations, consultations, and researches have indicated that students, lecturers and other members of the nation’s tertiary institutions who face, suspect or observe harassment, intimidation and other forms of abuse, do not have an informal but organised and expert ear to talk to.
Professor Kila said the help desk would also “help to curb the sense of impunity that makes perpetrators feel confident enough to intimidate and harass people.”
He said CIAPS could receive complaints from the public through phone calls and logging on to student help desk, which could be found easily with the website, ngrcampus.com.
The federal government is embarrassed by increased allegations of sexual misconduct in the country’s tertiary institutions, the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, has said.
Mr Adamu made the remark at the formal presentation of Sexual Harassment Policy Document by the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) in Port Harcourt on Tuesday.
The unveiling of the document followed the recent British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) sex-for-grades investigation report on some African universities.
Mr Adamu, represented by an Assistant Director, Tertiary Education Department in the Ministry, Ijeoma Duru, urged students to take their studies serious to avoid undue exposure to sexual predators.
“The Federal Ministry of Education is embarrassed with the allegations of sex-for-grades in Nigeria’s higher institutions.
“Girls should read their books and be able to defend their certificates and as such, make them less vulnerable to sexual predators.
“They (female students) should stop going to lecturers unnecessarily and also should not harass their lecturers,” he said.
The minister said that UNIPORT was the first university in the country to unveil a policy document against sexual harassment on campus.
According to him, the policy will go a long way in addressing the danger of sexual harassment in institutions of learning.
The Vice-Chancellor of UNIPORT, Ndowa Lale, a professor, said the university frowned at sexual misconduct and was taking actionable steps to tackle the menace.
He said the document defined the rules of engagement between lecturers, administrators and students, including visitors to the university.
“The document unambiguously defines what constitutes sexual harassment and the sanctions to be taken against those who wittingly and unwittingly infringe on its provisions in the line of duty.
“Henceforth, lecturers and administrators who do not remember to sow zippers in front of their trousers should be ready to bear the consequences of their amorous liaison with female students.
“Also, students who harass lecturers to award them undeserved grades should equally be ready to face the music if and when they are caught in the act of self-advertisement to their lecturers.
“Similarly, any randy Juliet (female student) who blackmails vulnerable male students or colleagues, and any visitor who believes that UNIPORT is hunting ground for cheap sex would be prosecuted,” he warned.
Mr Lale said that any person accused of sexual misconduct would be presumed guilty until such allegation was proved otherwise, under the established rules of fair hearing.
Nwadiuto Akani, a professor at the Department of Paediatrics, said sexual misconduct started with a lecturer or student addressing themselves by names, such as, baby, honey and darling.
She said that gestures, such as hugging, blowing kissing sound, touching of the body and sending unsolicited messages, constituted sexual harassment.
Newsmen report that female students went into wild jubilation following the unveiling of the document on campus.
According to Marca, Gareth Bale is set to join Chinese Super League after Shanghai Shenhua after reignited their interest in the Welsh forward after his continued rift with Madrid boss, Zidane. Shenhua came close to signing Bale in July when they offered him a deal worth 25 million euros after tax per year.
Shortly before Shenhua had attempted to sign Bale, Jiangsu Suning Fc were close to finalising their own transfer negotiations with the player but the deal was again not successful as the Spanish side were asking for £30-40 million.
For every transfer fee that a Chinese club pays, they have to match that figure with a donation to support the development of Chinese football.
Bale is believed to be sad at being left out of Madrid’s Champions League squad against Club Brugge without explanation, and the 30-year-old has instructed his agent, Jonathan Barnett to secure him a transfer away from the Bernabeu in January.
RealMadrid are now willing to allow the star to leave for free to cut off his hefty wage from their finances. He currently earns 17 million euros (£14.7m) after-tax but has featured in just over half of Real’s matches during his time at the club.
Despite Zidane confirming that Bale’s absence had been due to a potential risk of injury, the former Tottenham man believed he was being punished by the French boss.
The same publication has stated that clubs in Europe are hesitant to sign the player because he is prone to injury, leaving a switch to China increasingly likely.